Peljesac Ston, wine, oysters and medieval history tour
duration 5 hours
The best way to experience a destination is through its people and food. This half day tour encompasses all of it. It is a tour completely tailored to your interests so let us lay you down some of the destination highlights and you can tailor the trip with us according to your interests and preferences.
The tour starts by picking guests up in their hotel/port and driving up the Adriatic coast, passing Elaphiti islands, villages Orasac, Trsteno (very important set for Game of Thrones Dubrovnik filming and a beautiful bothanical garden), Slano, Banici to the pensinsula of Peljesac.
Your driver would point out mussel and oyster farms of Mali Ston bay and explain you about the growth and production of both.
- OPTION 1: Oyster picking in a small private boat with a local fisherman/oyster grower with your guide translating…tasting fresh oysters with lemon and locally produced white wine right at the boat on the oyster beds.
We stop in Ston to have a walk around this medieval fortified city with 2nd longest preserved wall system in the world, its famous salt pools/ pains. Salt is still produced in the same way for almost 2000 years, and charming city center.
Climbing Walls of Ston
- OPTION 2: walking the 14. Ct. city walls in Ston – part of it for great views of Ston, Ston Bay and Salt ponds, or full, all the way to Mali Ston (the whole adventure takes 1 hour 15 mins with spectacular views – prepare for some steep steps)
- OPTION 3: coffee and cake in Ston
After ston we continue to wine and olive growing area of Peljesac penisnula and we stop in one of the great small private winaries for lesson and tasting of wine, home made liquers, and olive oil accompanied with some cow cheese kept in olive oil.
- OPTION 4: Visit more vinaries and drive through backroads of Peljesac along some of the most famous Croatian hillsides of Dingac wine descending steeply to the sea.
- OPTION 5: Lunch Ston and Mali (Little) Ston are famous for seafood (Oysters, mussels, black and red risotto, octopus salad, fresh sea bream, prawns from Neretva River estuary) so lunch is recommended in one of the restaurants in Ston and Mali Ston.
After vinaries/lunch/sighsteeings guests are taken back to the ship/hotel.
- OPTION 6: Guided Dubrovnik tour Prior or after the tour we can also take guests to the Old Town of Dubrovnik and have a tour of the Old Town of Dubrovnik guided by a licenced guide
Suggested departure: 9 AM or 2 PM
What to expect
Depending how you want to tailor your tour: you can expect everything ranging from Low to high physical activity, great gastronomy, and unique experiences (oyster picking).
Tour fit for: all ages
Level of difficulty: low (without walking walls in Ston), middle (with half of city walls in Ston), middle-difficult (with full city walls in Ston walk – we had people in their late 70s doing it and loving it, however one must be prepared for some serious stairs).
Croatia has its own currency, Croatian Kuna…EUR or USD are NOT widely accepted. Do contact us if you have any questions regarding money, exchange rate or exchange offices! Bigger restaurants accept credit cards, small local households offering fresh home made food do not accept credit cards.
Walk on the city walls of Ston can be quite strenuos and warm so bring a hat, sun cream and water as well as the appropriate walking gear (any kind of sneakers are fine).
Enquiry & booking form